Friday, October 3, 2014

Waffle-blanket


What I really wanted to show you, though, was this 'new' blanket, which now lives in my aunt's couch, and which my cousins were so good as to photograph for me.

My mother and grandmother made it together when my mother was around 20 and still living at home. This was yet another blanket made from scraps left over by my grandmother, which, as my mother says, gives you an idea of how many things my grandmother actually knitted, producing scraps for at least three rather large blankets with many different colors!



The pattern is called waffle crochet, and as soon as my mother saw the pictures of the blanket, she remembered how it goes. That was lucky, because I was having a bit of trouble deciphering it, especially with all the color changes! But it's quite simple, really. Each row is made up entirely of double crochet (or treble) stitches. For the first two stitches in the pattern, you insert your hook into the top of the two double crochet stitches in the row below. These will be the ones that stick out towards the back. For the next two double crochet stitches, though, instead of inserting the hook into the tops of the stitches below, you go behind the column, if you will, of the double crochet stitch in the row below. These stitches will be the ones sticking out towards you.

Because of the color changes (two rows of each color), the waffle pattern really doesn't come out so clearly, but have a look at Suburban Jubilee: Waffle Crochet Tutorial - From Blankets to Dishcloths for a gorgeous example of the real waffle look!

The color changes make quite a nice look on the wrong side, as well, although the effect is somewhat less calming than on the right side. And again, I am loving the freshness of the color 'choices'. Since these scraps are all from projects of my grandmother's, you can imagine that future pics of her work won't be dull, either!





No comments:

Post a Comment