Friday, October 24, 2014

The joy of the home is love

I've been off-grid for a little while, visiting my grandmother, having a lovely time and collecting new stories and pictures.


Here's a little something I've been wanting to show you for a while. It is a small picture which has hung in my grandparents' house my whole life, and which reads 'The joy of the home is love'. That pretty much sums it up for my grandparents, who were always very loving towards each other. My grandfather would often ask my grandmother, "Are you in love today?" with a grin, sometimes followed by a little pat on the behind. That's how I want to grow old!


 My grandmother tells me that the picture must be at least a hundred years old. She remembers it hanging in her grandparents' house, and later in her parents' home, after which her mother passed it on to her.

It is made of glass, with the negative space painted black. The lettering and the flower were left clear, and edged with a thin gold line before tha black was added. Behind the glass is aluminum foil, slightly scrunched, which gives a more interesting result. I really love it - the message as well as the technique, which I must try sometime soon. I've been pondering some sort of modern take on the message, something like a tribute to the original, but I'm not yet sure how I want to do it.








No comments:

Post a Comment